- 2 cups warm water
- 1 ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. dry yeast
- ½ cup molasses
- 4 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 cup natural wheat bran
- 2-3 cups Lotus Brand Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups Good N Natural Cracked Wheat Flour
1. Grease two large bread pans or line them with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl stir the sugar into the water and sprinkle over the yeast. Leave it for 5-10 minutes, until it starts to bubble.
3. Stir in the butter and molasses. Combine well.
4. Stir in the cracked wheat, then the natural bran.
5. Add the flour a cup at a time until you have added 4 cups, alternating between whole wheat and cracked wheat.
6. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead in additional flour a little at a time, until dough is barely sticky (sometimes I use most of the flour and sometimes I only use 5 cups of flour in total).
7. Divide dough in half, shape each half into a stubby log and place in prepared pans.
8. Let rise until it doubles (1-1.5 hours).
9. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until loaves sounds hollow when tapped.
10. Cool in pan 10 minutes then remove from pans and place on a cooling rack.